Community and Fundraising
The Gathering plays a material part in the Oban and Argyll communities.
- Our Members contribute to Argyll’s musical tradition, funding the Argyll Piping Trust as part of their annual subscription.
- Members also underwrite the Games by funding any losses arising from the event.
- The Argyll Piping Trust is our charitable arm which arranges and funds the Piping Competitions at the Games and provides tuition to Argyll’s primary schools. Tuition is led by Angus MacColl and Stuart Liddell and the Trust has played a direct part in the success of world champions Inveraray & District and Oban High School
- The organisation of the Games is arranged by a local Games Committee which is headed by the Games Steward and includes the Piping Steward and the Treasurer.
- The Argyllshire Gathering Hall, a historic and listed building that can accommodate 400 guests for dancing and entertainment, is available for social functions throughout the year.
- We liaise with the local organisations including the Community Council, Bid4Oban and Argyll & Bute Council.
Fundraising is channelled through the Argyll Piping Trust and the Oban Games. The Games employs funds of some £40,000 and competition prize money can be up to £1,300 for world premier piping competitions and £600 for athletic events.
Our sponsorship budget runs at about £40,000 pa and is drawn from international, national, local and Member sponsors. These include:
The Highland Society of London
William Grant & Sons
The Piobaireachd Society
The PF Charitable Trust
The Royal Scottish Pipers Association
The Royal Celtic Society
The Schroder Foundation
The MacRobert Trust
The Mactaggart 3rd Fund
The MacQueen Bros Charitable Trust
Maclaine of Lochbuie
Calin Maclean Heritage Trust
Artemis Investment Management
RG Hardie & Co.
Member sponsors include:
Francesca von Habsburg
We need sponsors to help us maintain the momentum but we can do so much more for Argyll, Scotland and our Highland culture. If you would like to sponsor either the Games or the Argyll Piping Trust and whether individually or through your charity or company, please contact Peter Forrester or Hugh Nickerson by completing this form.